Karen Eckardt, PT, ECS – Physical Therapist, COO and Quality Assurance Director of Panetta Physical Therapy
Karen graduated from Ithaca College with a Bachelor’s of Science in Physical Therapy in 1990. By the time Karen was in high school she knew that she wanted to be a Physical Therapist. As a gymnast she became fascinated with human movement and her interest and passion for helping people retrain their bodies to move better was born. After graduating Ithaca, Karen became a staff therapist at Roosevelt Hospital in New York City. She was responsible for patient care in an inpatient hospital setting which included care of surgical, medical and intensive care, chest P.T., AIDS and wound care patients.
Moving to a private practice setting, Karen’s focus shifted to orthopedic and sports related injuries. For over 25 years Karen had assisted patient’s to help improve their mobility and to help them get back to doing what they love.
As Chief Operating Officer of Panetta Physical Therapy she is responsible for patient care, supervision of clinical staff, training and maintaining quality of care. She continues her education in the areas of manual therapy and functional/ sports rehabilitation. In addition to patient care, Karen is highly trained in Electroneuromyography (NCV/EMG testing) and musculoskeletal Ultrasound imaging (MSKUS). She enjoys utilizing these skills, on and off site, to help the patient’s physician establish the correct diagnosis, leading to the most effective treatment approach for the patient. She earned her board certification in Clinical Electrophysiology from the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties in 2016
Karen’s approach and hands-on attention to detail, coupled with her knowledge and experience insure the patients at Panetta Physical Therapy get the best outcomes possible in a friendly, professional and warm environment.
- Specialist Certification in Clinical Electrophysiologic Physical Therapy (ECS) from the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS)
- Certificate of Competency in Electrodiagnostics (NCV/EMG) and Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSKUS) imaging from Hands On Diagnostic Services (HODS)
- Golf Performance Specialist (GPS)
- Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Level 2 Medical Professional Certified
- Functional Movement System (FMS) Certified
- HODS Modules 1-6, including advanced NCV/EMG and MSKUS techniques.
- The Running Athlete
- Kinesio Taping Method
- Extensive continuing education in manual therapy techniques for the spine and extremities.
- Author of “Try P.T. First” campaign – a national private practice PT professional image branding campaign
- Featured in Long island Golfer Magazine, Early Summer, 2015, “A Good Walk Spoiled… by Bowling”, written by David Weiss
- Featured in Dance Sport Magazine, July 2011, “Fit to Dance”, written by Danielle Poupore, for rehabilitating a pro-am ballroom dancer and helping him to win a national championship.
- APTA and NYPTA member since 1991APTA and NYPTA member since 1991
Karen lives in Holtsville, NY with her husband Jim, and her children Sarah and Cole.
I love to travel and have a goal to see every national park in the USA.
When suffering from an injury, don’t rest completely. Instead, protect your injury but maintain an active rest. Continue any activity that doesn’t affect your injury. This will help to maintain your overall fitness and produce endorphins which helps to decrease pain and improve your mood.